I’m posting to the Modern Quilt Guild Quiltcon Link Party, and here are 5 things about me:
1) I am not Chinese. I changed my last name to Wu in 2001 two weeks after my first daughter was born. I had been studying Chinese and was interested in women’s names since I had just named my first baby, and she got her very own last name too. We celebrated the lunar new year last night, where this photo was taken (this is not my baby, but he is super cute, eh?).
2) My greatgrandmother was a quilter and every other woman I am directly descended from is a sewist of many sorts. I have a pincushion made from a mason jar lid that my maternal grandmother made and gave to my paternal grandmother and it is this beautiful treasure I keep on my thread table and it makes me happy every time I touch the velvet.
3) I love modern quilts and folk-improv styles of quilts but I didn’t really get into the modern quilting movement until last year when I finished getting my teaching degree. Now I am catching up with this great phenomenon and its emergence through social media, but I’m kind of on the fringe of relevant. I give away nearly all of my quilts to new or recently new babies, and have rarely documented with photographs until recently. In fact this baby I’m holding above received the Citrus Triangle Baby Quilt. I hope he learns his quadratic relations early! I make up for my under-blogging by being a nonprofit volunteer overachiever – currently in my local Seattle Modern Quilt Guild.
4) I just joined a gym on February first and have been trying to go nearly every day. I need something to fight the effects of my upcoming 40th birthday and I am feeling much healthier since I started, even if I have the reddest face in my Tabata class. I like to follow the #sweatnsew tag on Instagram even if I don’t post to it very often.
5) I would love to be a full-time dilettante fiber artist but I do not knit. I love my procion dyes, my silk screens, my cotton embroidery thread collection, and my fabric stash, and I even know how to crochet. I feel spread pretty thin already and this is by far my most prolific year in a while. How do you awesome mommy bloggers and photographers pull it off? You all amaze me and I look forward to meeting so many of you in two weeks.