I really do work much better with deadlines than I used to. When my beloved Pfaff started to heat up 2 weeks ago I immediately realized that my delays in the Madrona Road Challenge were about to cause me to fail: the post-Christmas backlog of machine servicing put “Pam’s” return date at February 6th. A full two weeks without a machine, and its not like I have the spares I used to! Fortunately my friend Toni rescued me, but I wasn’t going to machine quilt with the Threadbanger, so I hand-quilted my sewing machine cover (ironic isn’t it, I just wanted a pretty one) for the Michael Miller sponsored Modern Quilt Guild Challenge. And I even borrowed a camera and did the photo shoot on my mom’s quilt while it was still daylight on January 31st…this is progress!
I am thinking of putting a little eyelet in the “needle” eye at the top of this cover so my upright thread spool can poke through.
And the best part is, I got a call on February 1st that Pam was ready to come home, so now I have a proper picture with the cover over the hard plastic case instead of the Girl Guide Cookie box I used in the other photo.
I was so happy to have the machine, that I started the second Madrona Road top that I just completed this morning. I’ve been wanting to piece consumate V’s for a while, and this is the first improvisationl block I’ve done that didn’t leave me having to work out any math halfway through piecing the top. Although I did have to supplement the original 1.5 yards of the Kaffe Fassett shot cotton background with an additional 15 inches for the interstitial blocks. If I can baste it after my trip to the gym (I finally joined a gym and have discovered that half a workout can be done while reading a kindle – so I already look forward to 30 minutes of uninterrupted reading on the elliptical!), I’m hoping to be quilting the day away with a view of the Superbowl and not one but two lap quilts to run Pam all over.